Friday, September 13, 2013

Chakvetadze retires from professional tennis


Former world number five and US open semi-finalist Anna Chakvetadze has announced her retirement aged just 26 due to chronic back injuries after a career blighted by an horrific armed robbery in 2007. Chakvetadze earned nearly £2.5 million in prize money over a career that spanned a decade and included a semi-final at Flushing Meadows in 2007, eight WTA singles titles and two Fed Cups with Russia.

 "I no longer see myself in professional tennis so I am ready to say that may career is over,"
 

"Of course, this was a difficult decision and I thought hard about it but now it is finally taken. I understood that the point of return to tennis was behind me."

"I have a chronic back injury. So I took the decision to stop and start a new life."

No comments:

Post a Comment